Saturday, June 25, 2005

Tera, Mera, Sab Ka!

Today we will take a look at possessives. Here they are, with objects that are masculine, feminine, and plural, respectively. Note that the plural form is only patriarchally applicable if one or more objects being possessed are masculine; otherwise, use the feminine form.

Mera/meri/mere - my
Humara/humari/humare- our [sometimes "my," if a person prefers the "royal we"]
Tera/teri/tere - your [intimate]
Tumhara/tumhari/tumhare- your [regular]
Aapka/aapki/aapke- your [respectful]
Uska/uski/uske- his/her
Unka/unki/unke- their

Ka/ke/ki
is a post-position, generally indicating that the term following it is owned by the one preceding it.

This should help you understand some movie titles, such as:
* Tere Mere Sapne- Your and My Dreams
* Dil
Hain Tumhara- The Heart is Yours

Then there are plenty of songs employing these words, such as:
* Aisa Des Hain Mera- My Country Is Like This (Listen here)
* Main Ishq Uska- I Am Her Love (Listen here)

Now let's piece together some sentences.
* Kya yeh tumhara ghar hain? -> Is this your house?
* Yeh mera sapna hain. -> This is my dream.
* Unke kapde bahut sundar hain. -> Their clothes are very beautiful.

Let's end this lesson with the brilliant song, "Teri kurti sexy lagti hain," which in this case means, "Your kurti (Indian blouse) looks sexy." "Lagna" can mean many things in different context, which we will take up next time. Listen here and enjoy.


Please let me know if this lesson was at all helpful, and let me know if there is anything in particular you want to learn.

1 comment:

Bollywood Talk said...

Hi Leena:

This blog is a great idea. I hope you start adding posts soon.